Online education vs Traditional Education: Which one is better for you?
Choosing which type of education you need can be a daunting process. In the last few years, the education sector has suffered many changes, changes that in previous decades would have been unimaginable. No one could have predicted the innovations that this field would witness.
The current options are infinite but, let’s be honest, not all of them are a fit for all students. For this reason, in this article, we are going to list the different advantages and disadvantages of online and traditional education so each one of you can choose the most convenient for your student profile.
Advantages of online study
- Flexibility: distance education allows access to classes whenever and wherever you want. The schedule is flexible so the student can create a personal study plan with their needs in mind. There’s no need to give up anything because of a lack of time.
- Commodity: there’s no need to commute in vain. The student can create a cozy place in their homes to concentrate. There’s no need for a classroom anymore. It’s in our hands to recreate the appropriate atmosphere to study in peace and without distractions.
- Customized learning experience: Most of the time, the lessons are taught in small groups and on an individual level. This method, more and more popular every day, allows the teacher to get to know the virtues and faults of their students and make the most out of the classes. This is a way for the students to set their learning pace and find a space to interact openly and freely with the tutor.
- A wide selection of courses: online learning platforms offer a wide and diverse number of courses. From university to high school, there's a course for everyone. Students can even get a degree without stepping foot on a university campus. Online education also counts with very diverse and useful methodologies to meet the needs of every kind of student.
- Access to didactic material from anyplace anytime: the didactic resources of the lessons are available from whenever and wherever you want. The digital format allows access to them whenever its necessary.
- Time and cost-effective: in traditional education, the student must be present in the classroom for every lesson. So they need to commute from one place to the other and that is time and cost consuming. In online education, these expenses disappear and there’s no need to waste resources.
Disadvantages of online study
- A need for compromise, motivation, and self-discipline: there are students that without a predetermined structure have a hard time finding time to study. Self-discipline can be taught, but some students already possess it naturally. Online study demands a compromise with the tasks.
- A need for technological equipment and a good internet connection: it’s not enough to have a notebook and a pencil case at your disposal. The equipment you need is a computer with a webcam, headphones (optimal) and, a good internet connection. If you don't have one of these, you will have to acquire it.
- Hard to use in some academic fields: not all disciplines can be taught online. A few subjects, mostly the ones that require practice, are better in person. However, there’s a way to combine both to achieve an optimal result.
- More stimuli capable of distractions: this can happen if the chosen place to study is not adequate. The education is in the hands of the student and as a result, it’s vitally important to have a proper space far from any potential distraction. The virtual environment is not enough to maintain the full concentration of the student.
Online education is an efficient and underrated alternative that allows the student to study at their own pace. It also offers flexibility to combine studies and personal life. All of this from the commodity of home. You can even learn while traveling around the world without giving up your education.
Besides, it saves you time and money. There’s no need to pay for transportation, the courses tend to be more affordable, and geographic barriers don’t exist.
Advantages of traditional education
- The feeling of sociability and solidarity: traditional education sometimes makes the student feel less lonely. The student might feel like they are not facing academic challenges alone and can even build more confidence.
- Ability to work in groups: traditional education, in general, allows for group projects and student interaction. As a result, they can learn from each other and share doubts and concerns. These social ties can help to come up with new ideas and stimulate creativity.
- Gives a stable and solid plan: students who lack self-discipline value a study plan that offers stability and is easy to follow. Traditional education forces the student to attend the lessons and to study when required.
Disadvantages of traditional education
- Schedule stiffness: There’s no flexibility to create a personal calendar in order to combine studies and personal or work life.
- Higher costs not only of money but also of time: as previously mentioned, commuting demands an economic expense. And If the classroom is far, time is also a factor to take into account. You have to decide whether the trip is worth it or not.
- Loss of individualization in a large group of students: it’s hard for a teacher to have a customized study plan fit to the needs of each individual in the group.
- Less and more expensive didactic material available: traditional education is more limited when it comes to educational formats. Sometimes pictures, videos or forums aren’t accessible 24/7. This feature might limit the learning and hinder a good study plan.
Traditional education is still coming strong. It is a very efficient and solid option. More importantly, it provides students with a good study plan. And let’s be honest, sometimes it’s hard to leave the old habits behind and start a whole new routine out of the blue.
In the end, the choice is in your hands. It is important to think carefully about what you need and what you want from your education. Ask yourself what is more important for you and make a decision.
Platforms like Classgap
Classgap is the perfect solution if you are thinking of learning online. This format allows you to choose how, when and where you want to take your class. You will have total flexibility to meet a lot of teachers without any commitment and choose the one that best suits your needs.
You will be able to decide if you want your tutor to be native or bilingual, watch his/her presentation video and contact him/her to tell them what your learning goals are. With so much information it is impossible to choose the wrong teacher!
You will be able to set the price you are willing to pay for an online lesson.
If you are a decision maker and feel free to choose how you want to learn, Classgap is the place for you. You will be able to take advantage of all the benefits of e-learning, as well as all the tools and benefits that the platform provides. Some of the advantages you will get are:
- Personalisation: classes at classgap are totally personalised, as they are private lessons our teachers will adapt to your needs and your learning requirements.If you prefer to practice speaking only, all their effort will be focused on that, if on the other hand you need to prepare for an exam, they will help you to be prepared for all parts of the test and to pass it without any problem.
- Savings: by not having to leave your home to take the classes you will save time and money on unnecessary transport. To take a class at Classgap all you need is a mobile device, or a computer and a good internet connection.
- Individual classes: during the class there will only be you and your teacher, so you won't have to adapt to the level of other students and you won't waste time solving other people's questions that you may already know. In addition, being alone will allow you to gain confidence with your teacher much faster and to become more comfortable.
- Wide range of teachers: Classgap is a platform that connects students and teachers from all over the world, so you can be tutored from any city in Japan or any other country. This advantage allows us to offer you the opportunity to be in classes with the best teachers in the world, wherever they are.
You now have the information you needed to make your decision, so don't wait any longer and if you really want to advance in your learning, register in Classgap and start your online classes. Don't delay any longer, today could be the day!